24 October 2008

Atheist Bus Campaign

I am LOVING the Atheist Bus Campaign, I can't believe how much money it has raised since Tuesday.

Basically, someone got fed up with the religious adverts that you see on some buses and trains after she followed the website address on a particular one and found it was quite vicious in its assertion that all non-believers would be burning in hellfire and eternal torture after their death.

So she decided to try to raise enough money to post some counter-adverts stating "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life". The target was £5,500, and Richard Dawkins said if they reached it he would donate £5,500 of his own money to bump it up to £11k.

The Just Giving donation page opened at midnight on Tuesday 21 October, and how long did it take to reach their target? 10 hours 6 minutes! Since then it has soared and soared, and as I'm writing this it currently stands at £97,026.50! How amazing is that?? In only four days! That will pay for one hell of an ad campaign! I've given £10 myself, I think it's fantastic. Atheists typically aren't particularly organised as a group, and I'm so pleased that there are in fact so many out there who with only a little nudge are willing to take action. The Facebook group supporting the campaign already has 7,536 members.

No doubt lots of people will be up in arms about it, Christian Voice already are with their stupid and poorly written press release. Atheism is dying on its feet is it? Erm, reality check anyone? Oh no, silly me, religious types don't believe in reality. I did think initially is it a good idea to link to their press release on here, as it's just giving them extra publicity. But actually it's just this kind of religious idiocy and inaccuracy that's likely to provoke atheists into more action, so I decided to do it anyway. Even the title of their article is wrong: "Bendy bus to take Dawkin's message off-road". Off-road bendy buses? What, driving around in fields and things? NO! Bendy buses would take the message ON ROAD you idiots. I particularly like where it says "People don't like being preached at". WHAT???? That's coming from CHRISTIAN VOICE????????? It's just so hilarious and wrong and poorly written that it boggles the mind.

So anyway, I am proud to support the Atheist Campaign.



Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is amazing! I watched Have I Got News for You last night and they featured it. I followed links on your blog to the Guardian blog that started the campaign and made the mistake of reading the comments; do it if you feel like going from pleased to enraged in 60 seconds! Helen