01 March 2009

R.I.P. Boogaloo - this time it's final

I wrote a couple of months ago that Dynamite Boogaloo on a Thursday night was no more and had finally be cancelled. I was able to take small consolation however from the fact that Super Dynamite Boogaloo, its monthly special on a Saturday, would continue, and so at least it wasn't being completely totally cancelled.

Alas, with scant regard for the mental anguish it would inflict, Boogaloo Stu has now pulled the plug on that as well! So after 17 years of Dynamite Boogaloo in Brighton, 10 years of which I'd been going there myself, it really is gone. Last night was its 17th Birthday Party event and also its swan song. They've said it is cancelled "for the forseeable future", and that they'll be back at Pride for the thing they do at the Open House, but more or less I think that's it.

I wasn't all that surprised about the Thursday night; it had had problems getting the numbers in. I thought the Saturday monthly would be alright though because it's always fairly full. I think they've just moved on and decided to do other things - I know that Dynamite Sal is doing some other club nights now, and Dolly Rocket has been hostessing at Legends, and Boogaloo Stu has always had his London nights and is starting some things in Bath too I think. I'm quite sad though - I used to like it being monthly, it made us make the effort to go, because we knew if we missed it we'd have to wait a whole month for the next one.

Last night was OK, but wasn't actually the best Boogaloo I've ever been to. The music wasn't quite as good as it sometimes is, and there were some annoying louty straight boys there making lots of noise and getting in my way. It was also a bit melancholy watching the last cabaret and thinking "aw this is the last cabaret!"

I had wondered if, after 10 years, I would finally volunteer to play the cabaret game. I've always scrupulously avoided it, but thought that maybe one day I would. I didn't though, he'd already picked his participants as being the people who were celebrating birthdays that night. And they were playing shitlips anyway, which I wouldn't particularly have wanted to do as you end up with chocolate spread all over your face, so maybe it was for the best.

So anyway, R.I.P. Boogaloo, taken from us at the tender age of 17. Thank you for the... oh, hundreds of fun nights you've given me. Brighton won't be the same without you.

1 comment:

jimmy said...

I think that Boogaloo Stu is launching a new night on Thursdays at New Hero on Dyke Road