19 January 2009

Blue Monday

Apparently today is Blue Monday, officially the most depressing day of the year according to some (unnamed) psychologists on a BBC news story I just read. It is calculated based on weather, debt, time since Christmas, time since failing your new year's resolutions, low motivational levels and the feeling of a need to take action.

Well, isn't that cheerful?? Personally, I wasn't feeling too bad until I read that story, but now I'm feeling an almost obligatory sense of depression and Resentment Towards The World.

Yes I suppose it is crappy weather today, and there aren't that many things to look forward to in January, and some people might be running out of money by this stage of the month. But I actually had quite a nice weekend and I do not intend to be dragged down by a BBC news story.

We did a bit of shopping on Saturday and I bought myself two (cheapish) presents: A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian in Italian; and The Devil Wears Prada in French. It's been a while since I read anything in French or Italian, and I thought they should both be quite good reads. The tractors book has been recommended by lots of people (although it might lose its humour in translation), and The Devil Wears Prada will just be a light read. They had to be cheapish presents because we are having an economy drive in order to try to boost our savings as part of our house-buying plans for this year.

Then we had some drinks out in the way-too-busy Lion and Lobster in the evening, before moving on to the extremely empty Caledonian where I met a friendly transsexual with possibly the worst breath I've ever smelt on a live human. There may be one exception to that actually, it'd be a close run thing between them in a halitosis play off I think.

And then on Sunday I played on the Playstation 3 all day (Prince of Persia and WipeOut HD are both very good) and we watched Rosemary's Baby.

All in all it was fine and not at all depressing. And today has been alright so far, and I'm due to be playing badminton for the first time in years tomorrow.

So I defy thee, Blue Monday and your cerulean despondency.

No comments: