03 February 2009

Snow day no more

We are back at work today, more's the pity. Chris, however, has had another day off as his school decided it would be too dangerous still for the children and staff to travel in. So unfair! The university just said "come in, as long as you can do so safely", which basically meant come in, as I knew the buses had started running up here again.

So anyway, I've been back at work and it has been very dull. Half the staff didn't come in still for one reason or another, so it has been very quiet, and I haven't really done much work because I'm resentful that I’m not at home in my pyjamas like Chris.

When writing about the weekend, I forgot to say that we have now officially chosen our Eurovision song and singer. The singer is a girl called Jade who is from Plaistow I think, near where I grew up in London. She's quite good, a bit of a dull choice in some ways because she’s not that different to Alexandra who just won X-Factor – a pretty, young, black girl from London with a BeyoncĂ©-esque voice. She can sing really well though, and can obviously dance and perform quite well too, so she was quite a worthy winner.

The song however is a bit of a disappointment. It's been written by Andrew Lloyd Webber, and while yes that will give it some international recognition, it sounds like it's been written by Andrew Lloyd Webber. It is the kind of song you'd expect to hear as part of a musical, not really on Eurovision. It's called My Time, and it would perfectly fit a character who's trying to make her way in showbiz and is just about to get her big break. There is also no scope for a dance routine, or even for a very exciting costume for it (or better yet, a costume change). So I'm not sure how well we'll do now. I think the Euro Juries will like it maybe, but the voting public won't remember it among the 30-odd other songs. I guess we shall have to see!

No comments: