22 February 2009

Livid and a bit ashamed

Days healthy - 3

OK so last night I was all comfortable and asleep, cosily wrapped up in my duvet, when I was awoken at 3.30am by the sound of voices outside the window. One of the student girls who live next door had come home with some guy and was standing outside having a cigarette and chatting before they went in. OK, a bit annoying I thought, as they're right underneath our bedroom window, but whatever, they'll probably be quiet in a minute.

Shortly afterwards they come in, slamming the communal door to our flats and tromping up the stairs, just as I'm starting to drop back off to sleep.

BANG BANG BANG. Suddenly I'm jerked fully awake by the noise of someone knocking loudly on our door. Our front door, which is inside the block of flats (i.e. only people who live here can get to it), and which is about 2m from my head. And then I hear the noise of the girl and guy going into her flat almost immediately afterwards, talking. Fucking hell, I think, was that some sort of "ho ho ho, this'll be funny" drunken joke? Obviously, I didn't answer it, not that it would have made a difference because they'd gone already anyway. Some I'm annoyed and awake now, but try to go back to sleep.

About 40 minutes later, the guy comes out of the flat again and has a conversation on his mobile right outside our door about going to meet someone. SHUT THE FUCK UP, I think. He finishes his phone call.

BANG BANG BANG BANG on the door again, footsteps going down the stairs, he goes out.

WHAT??? AGAIN? What kind of sick joke is this? It's the middle of the night! What have we done to deserve this treatment? Do they really think it's FUNNY? He doesn't even fucking live here! What is he, a boyfriend or something? He's never even met us!

So now it's 4.30am or so, and I'm FURIOUS and wide awake, and resolve that it if happens again I'm going to try to jump up quickly and answer the door and say WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING? Even if it is a boy and he might punch me or something, fuck it, I'm livid and it's late and I'm so tired I don't much care.

5.10am, someone comes home, slam goes the communal door, tromp tromp tromp up the stairs. I brace myself, but no knocking comes, and they go straight into the flat. SLAM goes their door.

About 5.30 I manage to get back to sleep, and wake up at 10 feeling tired and cross and with a headache.

Obviously they've disturbed Chris as well, and he's cross too come the morning, although he succeeded better than me in ignoring the intrusion at the time.

Right, we think, we can't let this pass without doing something. We'll spend the whole day feeling annoyed and maltreated, and who's to say they won't do it again another night if they think it's so fucking funny?

So at 11 we go to complain. I can tell Chris has got his Teacher face on and is going to demolish them, he's even more riled up than me now. Riiiiiiing, he goes, on the doorbell. No response. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

They do their best to ignore us, although I know they haven't gone out yet, and occasionally we can hear noise from inside. I would have given up at some point, but Chris is even more livid that they think they can just hide indoors. So he rings the doorbell constantly for like a minute. Then stops. Then another minute. Then another.

At the 10th ring a slight bedraggled-looking girl in her nightwear answers the door, obviously already knowing what it is that we're ringing about.

Chris starts to launch in, at which point she says "it wasn't us". What? This makes him even more cross, that she'd deny they even did it. She goes on, "It was one of your friends, some gay guy. We met him in a bar, he said he knew you, and came back here for a drink. His name was Alex or something, Alex Cair."

"We don't know any Alex" we say, "you shouldn't just let random people in to bang on our door". But at the same time we're thinking shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. There's this one Alex, a complete twat, we hardly know him and haven't seen him for a good two or three years, and he never knew me really, only Chris, but he's always off his face on something and I wouldn't put it past him. And his surname is a bit like Cair...

So we change tack slightly, and say "ok well, it wasn't your fault, but we'd be grateful not to be disturbed like that again", and scarper back inside.

And now we feel really bad! It was clearly this Alex guy, and so it wasn't her fault, and we rang the doorbell for like 10 minutes and she must have been really scared that we were so angry! But what the fuck?? We don't even know him! And what are the chances we'd be up at 4am and would just say "oh hi, come in, do you want a drink?" It's just ridiculous!

So now I feel a bit bad... We weren't mean at the end, we left it alright with her, and it's still slightly her fault for letting some random guy in and letting him bang right on our door. He could've been a stalker or a nutter or anything for all she knew. Wouldn't you say "don't knock, ring their mobile and see if they're up, I have to live next door to them you know"? Wouldn't you??

So anyway, I'm no longer livid, and even though I do feel a bit bad, I'm glad we went round to complain, because based on the information we had available we'd been completely walked all over. And at least now they might think twice before making any noise in the middle of the night! Still feel bad though.

No comments: